Health Data Science is a discipline that combines mathematics, statistics and computing to answer questions in the biomedical sciences by the analysis of data. The Health Data Science theme aims to provide training in biostatistics, epidemiology, machine learning and health informatics, to equip students with the quantitative knowledge and skills for a career in health data science. The course offers a strong academic grounding in current and emerging knowledge and methods, and practical experience of analysing biomedical datasets.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the foundations of statistical and machine learning approaches used to draw inferences from health data
- Understand the range of study designs used in health data science
- Understand the specific data analysis methods used in health data science
- Manage and manipulate large complex biomedical datasets
- Conduct appropriate analyses of health data using a range of quantitative methods.
Core modules: Students following the Health Data Science theme must follow the Statistics for HDS core module
Theme module options
Optional: choose 3 modules from the following list:
Plus one other module, chosen from any theme, from the full list of optional modules.