Applications of Microbial Genomics
This module aims to provide students with a critical understanding of sequencing of different microbes. The main emphasis will be to develop an understanding of how genomics, in both hospital and community settings, is applied to real life settings, and significantly contributes to public health investigations and control of infectious diseases.
Module Learning Outcomes:
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Compare and contrast the various technologies available for sequencing different organisms
- Illustrate, using examples, how genomics has contributed to outbreak investigation and control
- Apply principles of genomics to diagnostics, surveillance and antimicrobial resistance
- Consider how the use of genomics may develop further e.g. microbiome studies; one health genomics
Principles of Public Health, Infectious Diseases.
Basic cell biology of microorganisms, understanding of bacterial and viral genomes. Future Learn do several free online courses that may be useful. These are generally available to join twice a year, and last 3-5 weeks (though students can take longer than 3 weeks to complete the material).
- https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/introduction-to-bacterial-genomics Bacterial Genomes: Disease Outbreaks and Antimicrobial Resistance. Use bioinformatics to explore DNA sequences and protein functions, to find the determinants of virulence in microbes.
- https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/bacterial-genomes-bioinformatics Bacterial Genomes: From DNA to Protein Function Using Bioinformatics. Explore the genomes of bacteria and the use of genome sequencing to track harmful disease and AMR.
- https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/bacterial-genomes-access-and-analysis Bacterial Genomes: Accessing and Analyzing Microbial Genome DataLearn more about how genomic data and computational tools can help us understand and track disease-causing bacteria.
The module will be delivered using a combination of lectures, workshops, small-group exercises, and class discussions. Some reading may be required prior to some sessions.
Take home assignment, applying genomic principles to a given outbreak scenario.
Module Length: 4 days