Applicants should explore the MPhil PHS course website and pre-application self-screening tool before completing their application.
Applicants should carefully follow all instructions given here and in the Applicant Portal.
Before applying, applicant should consider how they will address each of the following questions on the application form. Your answers should be approximately 250 words each: we value clarity and succinctness.
- Statement of interest: explain why you are interested specifically in the MPhil course. Briefly discuss a population health problem you have come across and explain how the knowledge and skills you hope to gain in the MPhil will help you address that problem.
- Career goals: Candidates must be clear why they are doing the MPhil and how it will help them to achieve a career in population health sciences in service, academic or other settings.
- Relevant Experience: describe how your prior experience (research, academic, work, extra-curricular) might be relevant to your application for this MPhil, and your success on the course.
- Maths and Stats experience: Explain how your previous experience in maths and statistics has helped prepare you for the course, referring to the core module pre-requisites and self-screening tool on our website.
- Consider your first and second choice specialisation theme to follow. Note that while this is necessary for triage in our admissions process, at this stage your choice of theme is indicative, and can be changed during the course. Nevertheless, your prospects of admittance to the course may be enhanced if your interests, qualifications and experience align well with the themes you indicate. Select your first and second choice from: Epidemiology, Global Health, Health Data Science, Infectious Diseases, Primary Care Research, Public Health
(Note: On the applicant portal, you may notice that there are different character allowances for these Course Specific Questions, one up to 5000 characters, another only 1500 characters. This is not by design, but seems to be challenging to rectify. For each of these, you should still aim to answer within approximately 250 words. You may also notice that the Career Goals question is asked twice; you only need to answer the second one, found under the Course Specific Questions section. Sorry for any confusion.)